BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 20, 2009

What difference can I make before I get older than dirt?

Yesterday our bus group went to the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel. For those of you that don't know about the Lorraine Motel it was a black motel which was converted into a museum to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.. Some of the most valuable parts of the museum for me included the Rosa Parks exhibit, the history of the peaceful marches, and learning about the library sit ins. All of these left me deep in contemplative thought just outside the documentary room when a tall man in an all white suit sat down straight across from me at the forest colored cafe-style table for two started talking to me about his foot pains. I wholeheartedly agreed because I, too, had been on my feet for quite some time. We discussed the public transit boycotts and the outrageous conspiracy theories surrounding Martin's death. Then he let slip that he had been on the balcony next to Dr. King's right side when he was shot and killed. What?! You were there?! It was Rev. Kyles! I was completely awestruck. I was just talking to Rev. Kyles about sore feet! I told him he didn't look old enough to have been around at that time. He saw through the weak flattery. What he said next has been one of the most thought provoking experiences of this journey and my entire life. Rev. Kyles said to me that he was 33, and Martin was only 39 when he was assassinated. He then asked me, "What are you going to have accomplished by the time you are 40?" A question I am no closer to an answer now than a was 30 hours ago.

Talk to ya,
~Trevor

4 comments:

stacy said...

wow...i think many of us need to ask ourselves that very question...amazing experience...thanks for sharing...

Kathy B said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story, Trevor. There's a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt about true friends leaving footprints on your heart but I think this "stranger" seemed to do this with you. What a tremendous moment!

DebT said...

Thank you, Trevor, for sharing that story. What an inspiration to have talked to such a man. And, what a question. I guess that is part of why you are on this journey ...

David said...

Years ago, before any of the youth on this trip were born I was fortunate enough to attend the first National Youth Gathering. Since I was a delegate from our Synod I was able to have a lunch one day with the speakers and the members of the band. I was fortunate to sit with Andrew Young who worked and marched with Dr. King. His stories about how things were just 20 years earlier were amazing and humbling. The things that he had been through would have beaten down a normal man. But he was able to hold his head high and be proud of who he was and what he had accomplished, even though to most southerners he was just a second class citizen if even that. He was the Mayor of Atlanta when I spoke with him.